Friday, August 5, 2011

Will Couldn't Wait

Our c-section was scheduled for Tuesday, July 12, but Will had plans of his own.

The Friday before our c-section we decided to go out with friends to see Transformers at the movie theaters. So since we were out late on Friday we were planning on sleeping in on Saturday. But that did not happen. At 7:15 am I woke up and ran to the bathroom not knowing that my water had just broke. I then started to have pretty bad back pain that would not stop. I tried laying back down but that didn't work. I tried laying on the couch with a heating pad but that did not work. In fact the pain was getting sharper. I tried to wake Billy up to tell him. I was almost shouting his name when finally he woke up and ask what was up. I told him and asked him what I should do. He texted his sister to see if she had any advice and told me to call my doctor.

I called and left a message with the on-call doctor. He called me back and I told him what was going on. He told me to calmly go to the hospital and get checked out to see if I was possibly in labor. He said this is not an emergency. So I decided to take a quick shower before going. (Something that Billy still teases me about. :) ) We left the house at 7:50 am.

On the ride to the hospital I told Billy I probably should time the pain because they would probably ask me how far apart it was. I looked at the clock when I first started feeling sharper pain (the pain in my back never stopped). The clock said 7:54. So I waited until the next sharp pain and looked at the clock it said 7:55. I knew that this wasn't good and that it was coming really fast. I even asked Billy if he was going just a little over the speed limit. He told me he was trying to be careful. The ride seemed like it took forever. We arrived at the hospital around 8:15.

We had to be put in a waiting room until they could come get us. When they came to get us they took us back to the triage area and starting doing the necessary IV's and such because they knew I was having a c-section. The nurse even checked me to find out how far along I was. After she did this she pulled Billy out of the area and told him that she could feel Will's feet and that things were going to happen a lot faster but they didn't want to alarm me. Around the time she checked me I started to see 6 nurses in and out of my room and then the doctor showed up. A lot was going on and in a very quick pace. All I could do was ask for pain medicine. They kept telling me they were trying but I kept on insisting. I even asked if they just had something I could take orally. Finally they started to wheel me to the operating room. They told Billy to get changed in this room for expecting fathers so he could come in and be in the operating room with Will was born. In a typical c-section the mother is awake and the father is present.

When I got to the operating room, the nurse said that they were now going to put me to sleep. I replied, "Put me to sleep?!" because I knew that this was not how it was suppose to go but at that time I just wanted the pain to stop and if going to sleep meant I wouldn't feel the pain I was ok with that. The nurse then had to go tell Billy that they put me to sleep because they didn't have enough time to wait for the numbing medicine to take affect. The nurse said she would come get him when the baby was out.

Will was born at 8:43 am. So to recap I woke up at 7:15 with pain. We arrived at the hospital at 8:15 and he was born with in a half an hour. It all went so quickly. We didn't even have enough time to let family know.

By the time I came back from recovery which was about a couple of hours, Billy's parents were there along with my sister. I was unable to see and hold Will until about 2 or 3. Billy was able to watch him get his bath and take pictures of all of it. Here are a few pictures he got.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Billy & Bethany | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates